|by:||May 10, 2010|
• John Hamilton has exited Seville Pictures to lead a new production and distribution company, Hidden Agenda, that has signed a first-look deal with E1 Entertainment. The two-year agreement covers Canuck and worldwide rights for all features produced and distributed through Hamilton's company, as well as sales and international representation rights via E1 Films International.
• Three new names will be behind the Canadian films seen at this year's Toronto International Film Festival. Montreal film critic and Le Devoir columnist Martin Bilodeau has joined the festival, programming Canadian features alongside long-timer Steve Gravestock, and Agata Smoluch del Sorbo, who, after years working with Canuck shorts, has moved up to full-length titles. Short Cuts Canada, meanwhile, has added Magali Simard to its roster where she will work with Alex Rogalski.
• Longtime Summerhill Entertainment exec Lee Herberman is now president of Henry Less Productions (Three Chords from the Truth).
• Lisa Hemeon has joined Toronto post house Alter Ego as an executive producer, after stints at Magnetic North and Command Post.
• Rutger Hauer (Batman Begins, Blade Runner) will play the title role in Hobo with a Shotgun, the feature version of the faux trailer by Jason Eisener. Brian Downey (Just Buried) stars as the villain, Molly Dunsworth is the hooker with a heart of gold. Greg Smith (Everwood) and Rob Wells (Trailer Park Boys) are also set to appear. Niv Fichman, Frank Siracusa and Rob Cotterill are producing the $3 million film.
• Screenwriter Rob Sheridan has landed a blind pilot script deal with Warner Bros. Television for a half-hour comedy. The Toronto-based scribe, who had a hand in Canuck TV hits including Corner Gas, Less Than Kind, Little Mosque on the Prairie and The Red Green Show, received a six-figure offer from the U.S. studio - which outbid Fox for a chance to work with Sheridan. In Canada, Sheridan is repped by Glenn Cockburn at Meridian Artists.
• Global Toronto has scooped up Anne Mroczkowski for its supper-hour newscast, which the former Citytv personality will co-anchor with Leslie Roberts starting June 1. Mroczkowski was the co-anchor of CityNews at Six alongside Gord Martineau until January, when City gutted its newsroom operations.
• Adam Kane (Heroes, The Mentalist) will direct the pilot episode of Haven, now shooting in Lunenburg, NS for Showcase and Syfy.