VICE is the world’s preeminent youth media company and content creation studio. Launched in 1994, VICE now operates in over 30 countries and distributes its programming to hundreds of millions of viewers each month across digital, linear, mobile, film and socials. VICE includes an international network of digital channels; a television and feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; an in-house creative services agency; a bookpublishing division; and a newly launched TV network in a joint venture with Rogers called VICELAND.
VICE's award-winning programming has been recognized by the Academy of Television
Arts & Sciences, Peabody Awards, Sundance Film Festival, PEN Center, Cannes Lions,
Frontline Club, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club,
and Webby Awards, among others.
JOB TITLE: Associate Director, Business & Legal Affairs (BALA)
REPORTS TO: General Counsel, Canada
OVERVIEW: VICE Media is seeking an Associate Director, BALA to join our team.
The ideal candidate must be highly adaptable, naturally curious, and capable of working
efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITES
• Reporting to the General Counsel, you will be working closely with Vice Canada’s
BALA department, with a primary focus on digital, television and feature film
production and commercial agreements related to Virtue and Media creative
services agency work.
• Drafting, negotiating and advising on all form of agreements relating to
TV/film/digital media production and distribution transactions.
• Drafting and negotiating a broad range of standard and non-standard commercial
agreements, including ones for creative services agency, procurement, and
advertising/digital media sales.
• Assisting with drafting and updating the law department's contract templates.
• Participating in special projects and legal research.
• Other duties as assigned.
• The successful candidate will have 2-3 years of common law experience gained
from working at a law firm or in-house at a media company.
• Candidate must hold a joint J.D. (or LL.B.)/B.C.L. law degree from a recognized
Canadian law school.
• Must be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC).
• Experience with TV production and distribution transactions is required, with
excellent skills drafting all above-the-line agreements, clearance licenses, releases,
deal memos, and other production and distribution agreements.
• Well-versed in contract drafting and negotiation, including a deep understanding of
the mechanics of business-to-business contractual negotiations, with a specific
focus on procurement (MSAs/SOWs, NDAs, IP licensing, transactional contracts
and other licensing agreements).
• Experience and/or familiarity with marketing/advertising law (including regulatory
reviews), E&O review, intellectual property (copyright and trade-mark) law, and
rights of publicity/privacy.
• Excellent judgment and commercial savvy.
• Excellent organizational and drafting skills, in addition to strong oral and written
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Salary will be commensurate with experience.
• Position will be located in Toronto.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a detailed cover letter, resume, law school transcripts, [three] professional
references and salary expectation by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
“Associate Director of Business and Legal Affairs” in the subject field. No phone calls
***This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not
intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in
this position may perform. All employees of Vice Media are expected to perform tasks
assigned by supervisory personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties***
If you do not hear back from us within one month of applying then unfortunately your
application has been unsuccessful. Thank you once again for applying and we wish you
success in your future career.