Blue Ant Media (BAM) is a privately held, international content producer, distributor and channel operator. From our production houses around the world, we create content for multiple genres including factual, factual entertainment, short-form digital series and kids programming. Our distribution business, Blue Ant International, offers a catalogue of 3,000+ hours of content, including the largest 4K natural history offering on the market. Blue Ant Media’s international channel business offers a portfolio of media brands such as Love Nature (International), ZooMoo Networks (International), Smithsonian Channel Canada, BBC Earth (Canada) and HGTV (New Zealand). Blue Ant Media is headquartered in Toronto, with operations in Los Angeles, Singapore, Auckland, Dunedin, London, Sydney, Beijing and Taipei.
The Managing Director will lead and grow Blue Ant’s Canadian production business out of our offices in Toronto. You will lead a team that will create new IP and formats, as well as servicing productions for third parties and production companies within the Blue Ant group. You will take advantage of Blue Ant’s existing infrastructure, including our finance, legal and business affairs, IT and post-production resources. You will also build our network of top freelance production talent.
You will initially focus on building on Blue Ant’s existing strength in factual, factual entertainment and lifestyle programming but will look to expand into other genres in the future. The Managing Director will run a separate department within Blue Ant, with its own P&L.
You will be a member of BAM’s network of global production companies, with offices in LA, London, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand. You will bring your own relationships with channels and networks but also take advantage of Blue Ant’s existing relationships with global players like Scripps, A&E, the BBC and Smithsonian.
This is a unique opportunity to work with an experienced and passionate team in a fast-growing, entrepreneurial organization with global ambitions.
• Lead and grow Blue Ant’s Canadian production business.
• Using your deep experience as a producer of entertaining and innovative content, ensure that all of our productions meet the highest creative and technical standards.
• Foster a culture of creativity and entrepreneurialism.
• Lead the sales of projects to buyers and source co-production partners.
• Work with Blue Ant’s distribution arm to ensure profitable and strategic distribution of Original Projects.
• Work with Blue Ant’s Canadian TV networks to secure Canadian broadcast opportunities for Blue Ant productions and to maximize public funding opportunities.
• Plan and execute the strategic development of talent and technology within the studio to further Blue Ant’s creative capabilities.
• Work with Legal and Business Affairs, HR, Production Operations, and Finance departments to effectively manage projects.
• Work closely with line producers, directors, and production teams to ensure all productions are delivered at the highest quality, on time and on budget.
• Act as a senior leader within Blue Ant’s global production group.
• Liaise with production management executives at television networks to ensure successful client relationships.
• Ensure all Blue Ant policies and procedures are uniformly implemented operationally and confirm productions are in compliance with all collective bargaining agreements and government regulations.
• Attend festivals and conferences. Sales trips as required.
• Minimum seven years’ experience in factual production. Extensive knowledge of all aspects of project bidding, budgeting, production, and physical media delivery and distribution.
• An undergraduate degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
• Strong leadership ability and deep experience in managing teams of high-performing individuals.
• Excellent commercial and financial skills and experience managing the P&L of significant business units.
• A strong creative point of view and an ambition to create content that will “cut through” in the international marketplace, not just Canada.
• Awareness of new technology/consumer behaviour and the evolution of the media and entertainment business.
• A strong sales person with a proven ability to negotiate and close deals.
• Experience in managing a high volume of factual production.
• Track record of managing international co-productions.
• Exceptional leadership, mentoring and communicative abilities – a motivator who builds teamwork and international teams as well as solves interpersonal issues when they arise.
• Strong industry relationships with creative talent, financiers, and broadcasters.
• Outstanding editorial judgment and creative abilities.
• Superior organization and project management skills.
• Supports Blue Ant’s mission, vision, values, and culture, with a keen passion for factual programming.
• A highly professional, strategic thinker with strong business and financial acumen.
• A natural leader; a fearless relationship builder who is driven to succeed.
• Entrepreneurial self-starter with demonstrated initiative and follow-through on sound operational ideas.
• An open and collaborative mindset, with a desire to grow Blue Ant’s production business.
• Flexible work style with the ability to multi-task in a changing and fast-paced environment, while meeting tight deadlines.
• A communicator who is proactive in his/her approach to both opportunities and problems.
• An analytical mind, able to troubleshoot effectively and calmly with an ability to react to challenges and maintain a sense of humour, positivity, and diplomacy.
A competitive compensation package including base salary and bonus will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by mailing your cover letter and résumé to:BAM@searchlightcanada.com
We thank applicants for their interest; however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
Blue Ant Media is an equal-opportunity employer.