About Entertainment One:
Entertainment One is a global independent studio that specialises in the development, acquisition, production, financing, distribution and sales of entertainment content.
The Company’s diversified expertise spans across film, television and music production and sales, family programming, merchandising and licensing, and digital content. Through its global reach and expansive scale, powered by deep local market knowledge, the Company delivers the best content to the world.
Entertainment One’s robust network includes film and television studio The Mark Gordon Company; content creation venture Amblin Partners with Steven Spielberg, DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, Reliance Entertainment, Alibaba Pictures and Universal Filmed Entertainment; newly launched MAKEREADY with Brad Weston; leading feature film production and global sales company Sierra Pictures; unscripted television production company Renegade 83; world-class music labels Dualtone Music Group and Last Gang; and award-winning digital agency Secret Location.www.entertainmentone.com
The Director, Business and Legal Affairs Film will work within Distribution, Film of Entertainment One (“eOne”) with a particular emphasis on domestic licensing and sales agreements. The role will require the ability to work independently while coordinating with the larger global team, will include negotiating, drafting and commenting on transactional sales and licensing documentation across all areas of the business as well as liaising with other eOne business groups (such as local distribution and finance) where required.
The successful candidate will ideally have considerable industry experience, confidence in negotiating with key industry players including broadcasters, lending institutions, completion guarantors, producers, talent and distributors, and an ability to deal with sophisticated and interrelated documentation, frequently to short deadlines, across multiple jurisdictions and projects. The role will require attention to detail and the ability to apply a commercial, common-sense approach to the work at hand.
The Director, BLA Film will report to SVP, Business and Legal Affairs in Toronto and should be able to work independently and with supervision. Excellent commercial skills are as important as first rate legal knowledge.
- Drafting and negotiating domestic distribution sales and licensing agreements (with eOne as Licensor) for exploitation of all rights in eOne’s films in North America including television, video and digital sales;
- Liaising with domestic and global sales teams in respect of deal tracking and related tasks to advise and track the progress of sales agreements;
- Liaising with clients regarding negotiation points on contracts; and
- Liaising with the contract administration team in respect of contract management and related tasks (including maintaining and updated records of key contractual, non-legal information and rights management information).
General Drafting and Negotiation
- Assisting with and drafting/negotiating as appropriate acquisition, banking, financing and related agreements; and
- Drafting and negotiating other legal agreements (including NDAs, Settlement and Release agreements, Cease & Desist and demand letters, sales and services agreements, marketing and advertising and co-promotion contracts, contesting and promotion documentation etc.)
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and advising on corporate agreements (including but not limited to information technology, software development, venue rental agreements etc.);
- Assisting department in maintaining and updating sales, licensing and distribution templates;
- Provide oversight of general legal and business practices and standards and oversight of certain litigation matters as applicable (including instructing and working with outside counsel, where appropriate);
- Provide oversight of regulatory and other legal compliance matters relating to content distribution (including but not limited to CASL compliance, privacy law compliance etc.)
- Helping to develop and abide by internal procedures to monitor the progress of legal agreements; and
- Other work as required to support the North American Film Legal team
- Qualified media lawyer/solicitor with 2-5 years PQE with professional legal training completed in Canada (or similar jurisdiction) or a business affairs executive with equivalent prior experience working in business and legal affairs in the film and/or television industry
- Substantial experience in the field of intellectual property law, licensing and distribution (drafting and negotiation) and excellent legal skills;
- Familiarity with a variety of commercial media agreements (copyright licenses, rights assignments, music publishing agreements, sales agency agreements, etc.)
- In house experience;
- Ability to deal with high volume of work across many projects and time zones and ability to multi-task;
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines;
- Excellent drafting and communication skills (including to non-legal departments);
- Good negotiation techniques with a commercial, problem solving and collaborative approach;
- Ability to work in both English and French is a plus.
We thank everyone for their interest but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
To apply, please email: Miran Marcus at email@example.com
For full description, please visit: https://www.entertainmentone.com/careers/