ABOUT INSIGHT PRODUCTIONS: Insight is one of the biggest and most prolific production companies in Canada. For decades, Insight has produced some of the biggest and most prestigious shows for Canadian networks such as The Amazing Race Canada, Big Brother Canada, The Juno Awards, and The Launch.
REPORTING TO: General Counsel and/or VP, Legal and Business Affairs
POSITION SUMMARY: This role will be responsible for managing day-to-day legal matters relating to all of Insight’s productions.
• Manage contractual relationships for Insight, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of agreements of varying complexity (e.g. program license, option and talent agreements)
• Ensure compliance with broadcaster, funding agency and tax credit requirements
• Advise on general legal and corporate matters
• Liaise with external legal counsel when required on various legal matters
• Manage the flow of information between various internal departments including Finance, Production, and Post production.
• Assist in managing the overall day-to- day operations of the Legal and Business Affairs department as required
• Complete additional tasks and projects as assigned
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD) degree and membership in the Law Society of Upper Canada
• Preferably 1 to 3 years of relevant legal experience gained from a top-tier law firm or in-house legal department
• Preferably exposure to production, entertainment, intellectual property, telecommunications, and/or broadcasting law
• Experience with production funding agencies, film/TV tax credit authorities, production/E&O insurance, and unions (including CAVCO, CMF, ACTRA, WGC and AFM) would be an asset
• Highly organized and self- motivated with strong attention to detail
• Strong leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
• Excellent business judgement and demonstrated decision making capabilities
• Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and meet conflicting deadlines
Qualified and interested applicants please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
no later than September 26, 2018. Please include “Insight Legal Affairs Position” in the subject line of your email.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.