Banger Films is seeking a Financial Controller in our Toronto office. We are looking for someone with strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to interpret and present data into key learnings.
The Financial Controller will report to senior management, responsible for all aspects of the corporate and production accounting for all operations of the company including all accounting, financial planning functions, all cashflow management and planning, income tax management and planning and, as part of the management team, providing support to a dynamic and established independent production company in Toronto. The position combines elements of corporate accounting, financial accounting and reporting, taxation, internal controls, special projects as well as budgeting and forecasting.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide timely and accurate financial oversight and support to company management; work with Executives, Business Affairs and Production Accountant on the preparation of finance models, cost reports, cash flow forecasts and budgets
- Help prepare, schedule and manage the annual review engagement, production cost audits and production notice to reader statements, including external tax preparation and any CRA audits (income tax and film tax credit);
- Prepare all schedules and adjusting entries for the annual corporate review engagement and tax return, work with external auditors to ensure it is completed on a timely basis
- Maintain accurate corporate general ledgers and ensure banks, intercompany accounts and AR and AP accounts are reconciled on a monthly basis
- Create and maintain all corporate level cash flow forecasts and overhead budgets, including a 3 year plan
- Liaise with banks to oversee new account set-up, online banking, loan management, and manage corporate credit card
- Support Business Affairs department in applying for tax credits in all productions
- Report quarterly on Distribution, Development and corporate results
- Responsible for corporate level payroll and associated remittances when applicable, as well as quarterly HST filings
- Propose and implement solutions for process improvement and workflow efficiencies Establish effective month-end close and control procedures
- Ensuring appropriate accounting recognition for all day to day business transactions and maintain policies and procedures to safeguard assets, achieve objectives and ensure the integrity of financial data
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Possess an outstanding problem solving skills and enjoys working in a challenging, fast-paced environment
- Be able to analyze and interpret new information and situations effectively
- Possess a demonstrated attention to detail
- Meet or exceed deadlines through meticulous planning and multi-tasking
- Demonstrate willingness to help out where needed with a positive attitude and enthusiasm
- Will have had previous film entertainment and/or Production Accounting experience and have worked in Corporate Accounting
- CPA designation required (either CA, CMA or CGA)
- University degree and a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in either assurance or full cycle accounting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as analytical skills for formal and informal communication with senior management
- The ability to work independently with a high degree of accuracy and manage time effectively; manage work under pressure and manage tight deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and able to handle multiple requests in order of priority
- Proficiency with Excel and QuickBooks is required
- Proficiency with Global Vista an asset
- Knowledge of film accounting procedures and Canadian film and television tax credits is preferred
Please contact email@example.com
with resume and cover letter.
We thank you for your interest; only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.